Wholemeal Blueberry and Banana Muffins
- 300g wholemeal flour, sifted (keep the bran that remains after sifting)
- 1½ tsps baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt
- 100g light brown sugar
- 285mL of buttermilk (if you don’t have this, 285mL low fat milk with 1½ – 2 tsps of lemon juice will work also)
- 75mL sunflower oil (or any other light vegetable oil)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 large, ripe bananas, mashed
- 200g blueberries (if you have fresh, great, if not then simply use frozen blueberries)
- Demerara sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a 12-hole muffin pan with paper cases.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarb soda and salt then mix to combine.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in the buttermilk, oil, banana and blueberries and mix to combine.
- Spoon into the cases almost to the top and sprinkle over the remaining bran, or alternatively demerara sugar for extra sweetness.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool slightly in the tin, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.